Aermacchi was an Italian aircraft manufacturer formerly known as Aeronautica Macchi. The company was founded in 1912 by Giulio Macchi at Varese,Italy. After WWII the aircraft factory began building three-wheelers with horizontally opposed twins. In 1956 the Chimera 175 made its appearance. Harley-Davidson acquired 50 per cent of the factory in 1960, and assumed complete control in 1974. HD sold Aermacchi to Cagiva in 1978.