The roots of the Laverda Motorcycle company go back to 1873, when Pietro Laverda decided to start an agricultural engines enterprise – Laverda S.p.A. – in the small rural village of Breganze. In October 1949, Pietro's grandson Francesco founded Moto Laverda. Francesco had started in 1947 to design a small motorcycle. Word has it, that some engine parts were cast in Francesco's kitchen. It was a simple four stroke 75 cc bike with girder forks. In 1951 upon their first entry in the Milan-Taranto, the 75cc Laverdas finished 4th, 5th, 6th and 10th in their class, racing against renowned marques like Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Capriolo and Ceccato. Inspired by these results, and after once again improving their bikes, Laverda entered 20 bikes the following year in the 15th running of the Milan-Taranto in 1952. In this race which covered a distance of 1410 km they took the first five places. In total they had 16 bikes amongst the first 20 of the classification. Laverda motorcycles thus became a firm favorite among racing clubmen due to their record for reliable performance.