Maicowerk A.G. was a West German motorcycle manufacturer. Founded in 1926 by Ulrich Maistch as Maistch & Co, the company originally manufactured 98 and 123cc two-stroke engines. After World War II, they began producing their own unit construction two-stroke engines, selling complete motorcycles. Maico motocross and enduroracing models proved very successful in both European and American competition throughout the 1970s even while lacking the financial capital and big money race-team backing like that of the Japanese factories. The 1974.5 400cc and 440cc GP, 1978/79 250cc Magnum and 1981 490cc models along with any year 501cc motocross bike are some of the most sought-after vintage MX motorcycles to this day.